Friday, October 10, 2014

And so it begins . . .

Friends have urged me for quite some time to do a blog. URGH. I'm not terribly savvy at this sort of stuff, nor do I like to take time away from writing. BUT I understand this is important to help draw folks to my books, so here goes:

I've got some neat stuff happening that I want to write about but that I can't write about until I sign contracts ... don't want to jinx myself, ya know.

So I'll write about breakfast instead.

I have the pleasure of breakfasting at least once a month with the glorious Gene Wolfe (who does not blog...smart man). We meet at Cracker Barrel and argue over who is picking up the check. He inspires me, makes me laugh, and I count myself fortunate to have him for a friend. I got to breakfast with him yesterday, before stopping at the ORCHARD for HONEY CRISP APPLES and going to the post office.

And I'll write about mail.

AND SO IT BEGINS. Some years ago I used to send editors and publishers I'd worked with boxes of nuts or candy at Christmas to thank them for the various projects they'd included me on throughout the year. I've worked with SOOOOOO many editors and publishers now that I can't keep the practice up, just too expensive. I send them cards and notes instead.

BUT because I'd ordered STUFF and continue to order goodies for an old uncle and my husband's aunt, I get CATALOGS CATALOGS CATALOGS and from places I'd never ever ordered or knew existed ... because they share mailing lists. NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo. I've tossed more than a dozen in for recycling already. Swiss Colony, Figis, fruit companies (4 of these with juicy-looking oranges on the covers went out yesterday), Popcorn Factory, Wine Country (which by the way if you're ordering goodies has the best assortment for the price and often with free shipping). Toss Toss Toss. I've asked to be removed from mailing lists. That seems to generate even more catalogs.


I only order three or four things out of these catalogs each fall. It is costing them much more money to solicit from me than they are making from me. 

And yet, it's not all bad ... I have been inspired to write a short piece of fiction regarding this holiday mail volley.

So I suppose the junk mail has been useful.

Have a great weekend. I'll do this again next week...hopefully with something more interesting or enlightening.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogging! It can be fun, frustrating and everything else..... See, all those catalogs, if you were a miniaturist you'd have a purpose for them. Art, labels, etc. ha! We save stuff like that ha! GIRL Z: My Life as a Teenage Zombie

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you're not a lawyer doing a blog. They call those "blawgs," which looks more like the type of word I'd use for the sound of a dog urping. You can link or do these on Goodreads, too, which might have more of a built-in audience for you already.

    ReplyDelete